on this page : About – Availability – Submissions – Disclaimer – Contact
Bent Street is a journal of Australian LGBTIQA+ writing. We publish a paperback ‘annual’ in December. Bent Street aims to gather writing across various genres, written or presented in the year of publication, as well as artwork, to form an ongoing picture of LGBTIQA+ life in Australia – ‘the year in queer’.
Bent Street welcomes writing from the LGBTIQA+ community in the genres of short fiction, extracts from work-in-progress, essays, artwork, sketches, cartoons, memoir, play or performance scripts, poetry, spoken word, blog, letters, shopping lists, interviews …
Bent Street is now three issues young, with the production model ‘evolving’. We probably over-reached a little with Bent Street 2, which was substantially larger than Bent Street 1, but defying exponentiality, Bent Street 3 clocks in at 250pp.
Bent Street welcomes submissions at anytime, but annual production looks like this:
- Call for submissions
- Submissions close 15 October
- Production – late October through November
- Print and ebook versions available – November-December
Bent Street can be ordered through your local bookshop. Bookshops and library suppliers can access copies through Lightning Source / Ingram. Readers can buy online from the usual globe-straddling behemoths.
Bent Street is open for submissions ALL YEAR, but the deadline for the year is 15 October.
- This publication is unfunded and produced in a volunteer capacity. Any revenue from sales will be used to develop the publication and fund writer/artist development.
- No payment is made for contributions.
- Word length flexible.
- Writing can be previously published.
- Limit of three submitted pieces per author.
- Line cartoons, black and white and colour graphics are welcome. Send high-res images.
- Cut-off for submissions to the year’s print version: 15 October.
- Send a short bio note with submissions.
- Happy to receive material from overseas contributors.
- Rights. Submission of material grants to the publisher (Clouds of Magellan Press) a limited right to publish the artwork/writing once only on this website, and once only in the print/ebook version. Copyright and all other rights are retained by the contributor. The publisher makes no claim on any prior or subsequent use of the material by the writer/artist.
- Please indicate if your material is a draft only. If you send us something we assume you want us to publish it as submitted, unless you state explicitly otherwise. If we make editorial changes we will send it back to you for approval.
All contributions are the work of the individual author or artist and are not the opinions of the Bent Street editing or publishing team.
Contact and all enquiries and submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org